In this episode:
Oana-Maria Mazilu discusses Romanian film culture in the late 20th Century with an in-depth analysis of Chuck Norris vs Communism (Ilinca Calugareanu, 2015).
- Romanian cinema as a niche subject
- The domestic reception of Chuck Norris vs Communism
- The international audience and the novelty and familiarity of the subject
- An analysis of the documentary form of Chuck Norris vs Communism
- Films that were circulated as bootlegged videotapes
- How bootlegged videotapes were discussed in Cinema
- How people watched films before the bootlegged videotapes
If you enjoyed this, read the follow-up article, Chuck Norris vs Communism: A Hollywood Narrative in Documentary Form, and support us on Patreon for more content.